Monday, September 15, 2014

Baphomet Complex — The Pacing Improves


Well, this is technically a day late, but it's at least close to being on-schedule.  We're now almost 3/4 of the way through Baphomet Complex, following which we will be returning to Fallen Brides for at least two stories before looking at other collections.

I'd like to take some space here to address a question of translation in the previous update.  More specifically, the translation of 精 (sei) as it is used in the context of the Encyclopedia.  Many of you may be familiar with this as "spirit energy," but for various reasons I am unsatisfied with this translation.  In the first place, 精 means "spirit" only in the sense of "a spirit" or "a sprite," which can hardly be the intended sense in this instance.  It can indeed mean "energy," in the sense of "vitality" or "vigor."  The energy expressed my 精 is vital and anything but spiritual.  It also means "semen," although compound forms such as 精液 or 精子 are more common in this instance.  Nevertheless, I think it fair to say that the double entendre is certainly deliberate.  To my knowledge, no English word combines these two essential senses, but I think it possible to at least approach the original.  I experimented with several renderings erring on the side of "energy" in my previous translation, but in this novella I have decided to experiment with "essence."  I will probably try several other renderings over the course of this project, but whatever I finally decide on will be standardized across my final drafts of all the stories.  (Speaking of which, expect a substantially revised draft of Wilmarina's story later this year.)  I welcome your opinions on this matter (constructive or otherwise), but I will not necessarily abide by them.

5 comments:

  1. You may already be aware of this, but Exet_mos, a friend of Kenkou Cross's has advised us at MGR much the same that spirit energy was not the best translation, in particular citing concerns that it gave english readers the impression that the monster girls were eating or damaging a person's soul, rendering incubi sex-crazed husks etc. which is not KC's intent. In my opinion "essence" may have a similar problem as it makes it sound like they are eating who you are.

    He recommended "mana" (i.e. the kind referred to in the types of games KC often draws inspiration from) as a replacement term (and "mamono mana" instead of "demonic energy") and it is what we use now (it took me a while but I updated all the old profiles and settings with this and other new terminology). Course as you noted no english terms are perfect at expressing the idea, so you are not at all obligated to use ours but I felt I should give some input as it is from an "official" source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate the information.

      I think "mana" could work as a translation of 魔力 (I may even use it myself), but it doesn't strike me as being as good a fit for 精. It certainly isn't "soul" or anything to do with personhood, but it's also less abstract and unusual than "mana." Looking at its uses in common phrases, we have 精を出す (lit. "to put forth 精") which means to "work hard" or "make an effort," and 精いっぱい, "with all one's might." I really want to find a translation that captures that vital, physical aspect of it.

      As I said, "essence" is really just a placeholder term here, and I'm certainly going to be trying many more variations over the course of these translations until I find the one that I believe best suits the text.

      Delete
    2. (I actually originally made this comment below but deleted it as I meant for it to reply to the above message).

      If it helps at all, Exet_mos stated the following in describing the term's intended meaning:

      "The Japanese word "精(sei)" has several meanings: spirit/soul, energy/vigor, and semen. KC uses the word mainly as the meaning of energy/vigor in MGE. It is difficult to translate this concept, and it is compound of "mind energy" and "magic power"."

      Delete
    3. Interesting. That will be something to keep in mind.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete