Monday, March 16, 2015

Fallen Brides: Mimiru — Reports of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated



First of all, I apologize for my prolonged absence. I'd meant to start posting this back in December, but I got very sick, and then a combination of grad school, video games, and work on scripts for the various manga scanlations I'm helping with kept me very busy for a while. I hope to resume weekly updates following this post.

Here are the first 4,000-odd words of my translation of Mimiru's chapter in Fallen Brides. I actually have a draft of nearly the entire chapter written out by hand, but typing it up and going over it to tighten up the translation and improve the flow of the English has been slower going than I'd anticipated.

As usual, there are no monsters this early in the story, which will probably disappoint several people, but they will be making their entrance earlier in this chapter than in Wilmarina's. This chapter also includes some description of what Deruella's invasion actually looks like, as well as an honest-to-goodness wizard fight (from which Nicholas Cage is regrettably absent).

Please note that italics and margins are actually semi-important to this chapter, so the Pastebin regrettably loses something of the original formatting. As usual, I will be releasing an ebook version of this translation once this draft is finished, and that will include both full formatting and images. A second draft of Wilmarina's chapter is still in the works.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought U quit translating so I was very sad
    But you make me really happy with it
    Always thank you about translations of monster girl encyclopedia series
    I will wait for your next progress until I quit it
    Thanks again :D
    P.S. I like the story of sasha folmoon best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much!

    I love how you're translating these for us and I appreciate the hard work. Hopefully you're fine now and you can keep up the great work.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this... Wait a second, is it going to be the same guy for all chapters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see that you are still alive. =)
    I look regularly your blog and your work is really impressive.
    Big thanks from Germany for the translations! ^-^
    Ps: I hope my English is half so bad as i think.
    Reading is much easier than writing :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. The plot and prose seems much more polished compared to Wilmarina's story; you were right about author improving. First time posting but wanted to give my own sincere thanks for working on this, even if it's to improve your own skills.

    And I just wanted to add, don't fall into peer pressure to translate this. You're already doing it for free, and we appreciate it but don't let it become a chore or job.

    tl;dr - I personally don't mind if it's a slow pace, long as you enjoy doing it. gl with life :)

    ReplyDelete